Did you know there are some churches where you may not hear the gospel? No, I’m not talking about liberal churches, where fundamental doctrines such as the deity of Christ and substitutionary atonement and the resurrection are denied. I’m talking about churches that claim to believe and uphold the gospel. Many messages approach the Bible as little more than a self-help manual with “5 steps to…”
But the Bible is about far more than that. It is about a cosmic struggle between the seed of the woman and the seed of the serpent. It is about a holy God to whom we must give account. It is about the pervading sinfulness of man. It is about blood and sacrifice. It is about the redemption bought by the sinless Son of God, through His perfect life and His vicarious death on the cross. It is about the risen and returning King to whom every knee will bow and every tongue will confess. It is about the need of every soul to repent of sin and trust Christ.
And no matter which part of the Bible is being preached, there is a path to Christ from that text. While we must be sure we do not misinterpret the text, there is some way in which it predicts, prefigures, or patterns some aspect of our need of salvation and what Christ has done, when seen within the larger context of the whole Bible.
I encourage you to avail yourself of this excellent material from Dr. Russell Moore of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky, about preaching Christ from every text. Let’s be sure that if someone doesn’t hear the gospel that it’s not because we are failing to preach it.
- Free mp3 download: “Beyond a VeggieTales Gospel: the Bones of Joseph, the Kingdom of Christ, and the Story We Tell” (8/25/2005 chapel message, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary)
- Article: “Beyond a VeggieTales Gospel: Why We Must Preach Christ from Every Text“
- Collection of related articles (including a shorter version of Moore’s article): Southern Seminary Magazine: Understanding Scripture in Light of Christ (Spring 2008) – free pdf file
- A related resource by Moore: “Childrens’ Sunday School and the Battle for the Bible“
- Dr. Moore’s website contains more articles, messages, etc.: www.russellmoore.com – check out some of the resources on here for some good examples of preaching Christ from every text (“Exit Strategy: the Gospel of Jesus in the Book of Exodus” is really good!)